Post Boxes of George V
GeorgeV had the second-longest reign of the Twentieth Century and encompassed some fundamental changes to GPO operations: the telephone network spread widely and rapidly and Airmail service began. Thus there are many different varieties of George V boxes, some only distinguishable from each other by careful measurement with a ruler.
Here we present some of the boxes from the George V era in our collection.
Carron Company B size pillar (PB27)
A size wall box by W T Allen (formerly in use at Trinity Street PO in Cambridge). (WB96)
Long Door lamp post mounted box by W T Allen (LB208)
There are a large number of different wall boxes in use from this reign and we are lucky enough to have a good selection of these. Below we illustrate the standard E wall box (with door at back and front) in four different versions:
From the left these are:
WB 106/2 Derby Castings 1933
WB 106/1 Andrew Handyside 1932
WB 106/4 W T Allen 1934 - large low cipher
WB 100/1 W T Allen - small high cipher
Click the image to see the different signatures.
Andrww Handyside became Derby Castings for just one year before going into liquidation and eventually becoming part of the Allied Ironfounders group. The single box in this group with a collection plate is an E box modified to look more like a B. The Next Collection casting that would be found on a real B wall box is replaced by a large engraved brass plaque.
SEE MORE BOXES FROM GEORGE V